Sunday, September 13, 2009

Its been one hot day.

Okey Dokey! While you are all still sleeping and starting to wake up and get ready for church I am going to tell you more of what we have done! Sarah, Phyllis, and mom worked very hard in the kitchen for hours yesterday preparing for iftar. I would say it was a good 120 degrees in the kitchen. There is no Ac in there and with the stoves going and the oven it was just crazy. Here is a picture of dad on the Balcony. The balcony over looks an Olympic center. There are often kids playing soccor, running track and such there.


This is the view towards the back of the house. Just lots of apartment buildings.

Mom and Dad on the Balcony.


Here are the foods they made for Iftar. It was all very good.



We carried it all downstairs and ate out in the backyard. It is a brick area with some trees and its right up next to the apartment building. The apartment building is full with Adels family. His mother lives in one apartment, and a few of his brothers live here as well.

Aunt Phyllis, Mom, Tita. Tita is Adels mother. She is so sweet!! She is very sick and has had to go through Chemo. For some reason they don't want her to know she has cancer so they told her that she broke her back in 2 places. She was telling us the whole story of how it is broken.

These are the trees in the backyard.

This is the front door to their house.
After we ate we sat around talking and having dessert. Then we played the sign game with Sarah's cousin's. It was so fun! We couldn't understand things that were said but we all could sign! It was lots of fun and they were so cute! We all enjoyed it. All the shops close from 6-9 so that people can go home and eat with their families. Then they open up from 9-12. It's nice to have everything open up late. We went to get moms blood pressure taken and then we went to the Salon to get our pedicures done! I was so excited. Little did I know what I had in store!! I wish I had more pictures of this but I didn't get any. I decided to get my eyebrows done. Little did I know that they don't have waxing here. Its a process called threading. They might as well call it cruel and unusual punishment! Look it up on you tube. I am sure they have video's of it there. Seriously I was sitting there crying it hurt so bad. The pedicure isn't at all like it is in the states. The chairs aren't comfortable. You put your feet up into the lap of the ladies. They don't usually do design's.

We went to a pharmacy

On the way to the pyramids we saw a wrecked car.

Here are the Pyramids from the road.


AT LAST the pyramids and I meet!! IT was a fun day. A very fun, hot, hot, fun, and did I mention hot day? We didn't go to Alexandria because we didn't find a taxi that early in the morning. We had Uncle Adell get us a taxi and gave us a note to give to a Taxi driver to get us home. It was like a parent sending their kindergardner to school. When we got there we didn't really know what to do but after checking it all out we decided we were going to go into 1 of the pyramids. There were people all around trying to get you to buy things. They would hand you something and say, FREE. When you took it they would ask you to give them something for their family. It was annoying. There were so many beggars.
They didn't allow us to take our camera inside the pyramid but thats okay because there wasn't anything in there. We had to walk, crouched over down into the pyramid. Then there was a small passage way where you could stand up and then you had to crouch over again and go up into the pyramid. In the center was 1 tomb. THATS IT! A huge pyramid to bury 1 guy! Thats just crazy. There were a few paths that led into other parts of the pyramid but they didn't allow us to go in there.


A CAMEL!!! I didn't get to ride one yet! Lindsey did because she didn't want to see the tombs that were were going into so she got a ride.

Did you know that the Pyramids are RIGHT NEXT to the city? In all the pictures it looks far away but nope. This is how close they are to the city.

Okay, I know its soooooo totally cheese but I just HAD to walk like an egyptian. :)
As we were walking away from the pyramids there was an Egyptian guy that kept yelling english phrases at us. He did pretty well. These are the phrases he knew.
I don't have 2 hours
Go away
No I don't want to
Leave me alone.
I only have 30 minutes.
How are you today

This is walking into one of the tombs. This passageway is wider and just a bit taller than the passage down into the pyramid.
This tomb is where one of the Doctor's of one of the important people lived.


Dad walking down the the Sphinx. Those are more tombs behind him. I think they still bury people in the tombs here.

Here is the sphinx in front of the pyramid.


Mom and I.

This is mern in the tomb. Dead. I am glad this is not my eternal slumber.

Aw. Good Sphinx!

We all bought head things. They actually made you feel so much cooler.
After we visited we walked around and to this old old palace that has now been turned into a hotel. It was very cool but after being in the sun for so long I was just ready to go back to the apartment. We forgot sunscreen! How did that happen?
At the apartment we decided to order in McDonalds. It took SOOOOO LOOONG to get here. Over an hour. So I took a nap. Now its 5 pm and I still haven't showered. My clothes are all sticky, i am still sweating just sitting here. I can't wait to shower! Its like heaven each day. Mom and Phyllis just got back from shopping at road 9. I suppose we are going to go on a feluca ride tonight but I am not sure.
Hugs from Maadi!

3 comments:

The Van Fam said...

I love reading all this, almost like we are there. Tell everyone hello.

buddyandsarahaws said...

Looks like fun! Thanks for all the updates. I love seeing what you guys are doing!

Meagan said...

Freakin rad! I loved all your pictures of you petting the Sphinx and touching the tips of the pyramids. So cool! Also, I love those head things. And the camels. Bring our baby back a shirt!!!